How to Apply Australia Work & Holiday Visa for Malaysians


Image Credit: ACM
Work Hard. Play Harder!

Do you feel like your job is getting a little (or very much) mundane? Feel like going somewhere not so ordinary vacation but worry about the keching keching $$$? Want to en-RICH your life? (very rich in some very meaningful way)  Lets go backpacking! Backpack to Australia on Work & Holiday!! You can Work ($$$ worry is solved) and Holiday (the not so ordinary vacation) for 12 months!

What is Working Holiday / Work & Holiday Visa? (they are the same but different)

Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) or Working Holiday visa (subclass 417), are 2 special visas for those between the age of 18-30 (are you already at the border?). It allows us to live in Australia for a specific amount of time, six months to 1 year or some 2 years. The details differ by country and generally it allows us to work up to 6 months (with the same employer) or study short courses up to 4 months.

In fact, many many many people didn’t know about Australia Work & Holiday Visa for Malaysians.

For Malaysian, we can only apply Work & Holiday visa (subclass 462) which will allow us to work and travel around Australia for up to 12 months (with multiple entries). Meaning you can fly there, fly home and fly there again (if you have the keching keching $$). LOL

What this Visa allows us to do?

  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months (subclass 462 does not allow 2nd year extension)
  • work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer
  • study for up to four months
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.

Do you feel the itch already?! So… What to prepare?

This visa has a limit of 100 seats only each year for Malaysians. Get ready now for year 2016/2017 applications!!

Note: We don’t have to go right after we receive the visa. After approval, we have 12 months to prepare or do whatever we need. Like get married (OK I’m just joking)! But I do know people who postponed marriage for this!

And don’t worry, the Visa’s 12 months validity only starts counting when we first step out foot into Australia.


  1. Letter of Good Conduct (apply online) – Do this now! Look at the detailed description below
  2. 2x passport size Photograph
  3. Photocopy Valid Passport – Valid Passport (check your expiry) It should be valid for more than a year because this Visa is eligible to stay up to 1 year
  4. Photocopy and certify all Tertiary Education Certificates (translate if required) –Requirement: One should have completed tertiary qualification or have satisfactorily completed at least two years of undergraduate university study
  5. Photocopy and certify Birth Certificate (we didn’t translate, so it is up to you)
  6. Prove of sufficient money about AUD 5000 to support yourself while in Australia (just to show them)

** Some may be asked to provide formal evidence of functional English (our case, we were not required to provide any additional evidence)

Now… Apa itu Letter of Good Conduct?

It is Sijil Kelakuan Baik! LOL! Basically, it is just a formal letter of character prove with no criminal records sort of things.

(apply this as early as possible because it may take up to 2 months to process from our dear kerajaan)

How to Apply?

There are 2 WAYS to apply:

Option 1…

We have upgraded our Blog to

To read more about the application process, please click on this link to our Site.

Good Luck!!



    • Hi Huey Woen,

      The application date changes every year. It is up to the Australia Embassy to set. So you got to constantly check their website to see the date. Usually is around July. But is not for sure.


  1. Hi,

    I though that we are not able to do online application. As it is only open to US people? So does it mean we need to download the form and post it?



    • Hi Huey Woen,
      Yes you are right only US citizen can submit online application.
      For us, we are only going online to secure a seat. Once you successfully booked a seat, then you will be given a time and date to submit the application in person. You don’t have to download or mail anything.
      Good Luck!


  2. Hey,I am now at oversea.I just wanted to know if I request an official letter from my university to prove that I was educated in English for my degree and print it out for the application.Does it work?As I am afraid that they want a copy that needed to be certify or something.


  3. Hello there! I clicked on link T”o read more about the application process, please click on this link to our Site.” then no posts followed up about the application process?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s